Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Artist Angelika Bauer Inspires Children with Art at La Puerta Abierta


Throughout the past three years, La Puerta Abierta has become much more than a library. It has transformed into a place where children gather with their mothers for early stimulation classes, where friends meet on Friday afternoons to play with our educational games, where teachers visit to borrow story books for their classes and where children sign up for a variety of classes and workshops.


In addition to serving the community as a library, La Puerta Abierta has been opening it's doors to the public as a genuine learning center. This month, we have been collaborating with Angelika Bauer who has been hosting a children's art work-shop at our center. German born Angelika has been living in Santiago for over twenty years and her paintings and drawings are celebrated in Guatemala and abroad.


Angelika hopes to inspire our students to explore creative art practices and has been teaching our students about abstract art and color combinations. Using oil pastels as their medium, local students have been revealing great artistic potential.
Shares 10 year old Maria, "I am having so much fun with art...maybe I'll be an artist like Angelika some day!"


6 comments:

  1. wow!
    i lived in Guate many years...had a little art school in Guate City...then a year in Antigua...many many years ago...before it was buzzing....like now...
    Started to teach art in the streets...in a "taller ambulante"...had so many dreams ...am an artist...we sort of see the future...and there you are!
    SO BEAUTIFUL to find your site..I was looking up Angelika Bauer, and saw her smiling face on your page...tell her I was in Guate and saw her work in Antigua...tell her I want to make another trade w/ her!
    SO WONDERFUL WHAT YOU ARE UP TO!
    I used to send Childrens' Books to orphanages in Guate...one of my passions in life...

    I joined INSEA many years ago (International Society of Education Thru Art)..and actually took a series of Angelika's works (hers and her kids's) to the Primer Encuentro Latinoamericano de Educacion por Medio del Arte..in Montevideo!!
    W. a friend we were going to start Asociacion Guatemalteca de Educacion por Medio del Arte...
    His name is Roberto Vizcaino...from Colegio Naleb, in Guate City...
    I LOVE YOUR WORK and your photo too!
    Give my best to Angelika!

    Love/Light
    NAMASTE!
    Mar
    :)
    BEST!
    MAR
    Margarita Allen
    NAMASTE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY GOD!

    I swore tonight I would go to bed early...
    but I came upon your site!
    i have been living away from Guate 20 years...and alot of what i was dreaming about ..came true!
    Like Foto-Kids!
    And your WONDER_FULL Puerta Abierta...!
    Once I wrote a Casa Editorial in England..nd they sent me two huge boxes of fantabulous illustrated books...which I sent to places in Guate..I oughta do it again and send to you!
    :)
    BEST!
    mar
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is Angelika's website or contact information. It seems that we saw some of her art in Antigua Guatemala this summer, but I am not sure.
    Thank you.
    Oxana holoxana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola, me gustaria saber si puede tener el mail de Angelika, me gusta mucho su arte. Tengo una tienda y estoy interesada en colocarlo ahí.
    wendymelisa.orozco@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola, también estoy interesada en contactar por su arte con Angélika. Alguien me podría pasar un contacto (mail o web) que no le encuentro en internet?
    Mi mail es v.anton.m@gmail.com
    Muchas gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola, yo tambien quisiera su informacion por favor!!!! Luciasamayoa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete