Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Meet Chonita, Our Outstanding Program Coordinator


I have fond memories of going to school as a child. I liked to study and to see my friends daily. By the time I finished sixth grade, I had also learned a variety of handy-crafts. I could embroider, sew, make beaded jewelry and crochet hats. I am grateful for learning these skills, because they allowed me to earn a small income and pay for a part of my school costs in Jr. High and High School.

In addition to studying, I really wanted to be able to help my parents with our family expenses. We are seven children all together, and I am the oldest sibling.

Fortunately, I was able to graduate from the teaching academy in Santiago Atitlan and I spent my first three years after graduating, working in different schools.

Nearly three years ago, I began working in La Puerta Abierta Learning Center. I feel very blessed for my current work because in addition to working in a pleasant environment, I am also helping my community, and I am continuing to learn new skills.

I divide my time between working at La Biblioteca Puerta Abierta, and caring for my two year old daughter Lea, who has the privilege of coming to the center with me daily. I hope that when she is older, she will cultivate an appreciation for reading and a love for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment